The following are my hard-learned tips for playing State of Decay or Surviving a Zombie Apocalypse (whichever comes first);
- If you’ve set up a defended home base, with watch towers, chain link-fences and reinforced walls it’s quite important to close the gate after you come home.
- Always carry a packet of crisps.
- The brutal, ruthless hillbillies might not have a backstory that reveals them to be tragically misunderstood and ripe for redemption. Sometimes what you see (moonshine-addicted serial-killers) is what you get (moonshine-addicted serial-killers).
- Artillery strikes are not melee weapons.
- While sneaking up on an uber-zombie and deciding to jump in through the window to avoid it’s vision ensure the window isn’t closed first.
- Normally a car Solves All Zombie Problems, but it you hit a Poison Gas zombie their poison cloud can get stuck in the air conditioning and quickly kill everyone in the car no matter how frenziedly you drive.
- Adding a silencer to a shotgun doesn’t accomplish much.
- Food and Ammunition should be treated as a higher priority than getting a nice selection of fiction books in the library.
- When assisting another enclave in order to curry favour it’s important to not panic and empty an automatic weapon into the melee they’re fighting in.
- Zombies are experienced and ruthlessly efficient car-jackers. Bear this in mind when driving in a car without doors.
- The correct answer so someone asking you “Do you think it’s really dead?” is always “No, of course it’s bloody not.”
- When someone starts following you in order to get your help doing something safe(such as searching for fertilizer) feel free to take a small detour through the two or three infested houses in the neighbourhood that need purging.
While equipped with high-tech weaponry far in advance of your own, the army will always prefer to beat zombies to death with golf-clubs and frying pans.
- Using a GPS doesn’t freeze time. Switching back from the map to find your car on fire with everyone in it being devoured is a bit of a downer.
- Rethink your decision to take an enclave member with personality traits “lush” and “likes a drink” to go scavenging in a bar.
- Remember your safety training (“The Dean Rule”) about flame-based weaponry in enclosed spaces.
- While the front of automobiles is made of an aluminium / paper-mache hybrid the rear has the armour of a Main Battle tank. Remember to check your mirrors as your reverse down the road mowing down zombies.